This is a monthly column featuring dishes and wines found at Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant. This TW&T feature showcases the unique cuisine of the Texas Hill Country paired with fine Texas wines. Texas Hill Country cuisine is a type of fare that captures the multitude of cultures represented in around the Fredericksburg area. From the freshest seafood, to Certified Angus Beef, to wild game and ranch fare Chef Ross Burtwell uses only the finest locally sourced ingredients. Photo credit Jennifer Whitney.
This delectable dish is from Chef Ross Burtwell’s Texas Hill Country Cuisine: Flavors from the Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant.
Haak Blanc Du Bois Madeira
Fragrances of peach, apricots and a hint of apples and figs on the nose, but on the palate, it fills the mouth with flavors of baked peaches, apricots, caramel and a hint of honey and lemon.
Ruby Red Grapefruit Buttermilk Pie
yields one 9 inch pie
Don’t knock it till you try it. This is a Texas style favorite home cooked pie. Punching holes in the pie dough before baking will keep the dough from rising up due to air bubbles.
1 9 inch pie crust
1 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbs all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 Tbs ruby red grapefruit juice
1 Tbs ruby red grapefruit zest, grated
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
* Preheat oven to 350
* Use a fork to punch multiple holes in the pie crust and pre-bake until lightly brown.
* In a medium size bowl beat the eggs and sugar together until the mixture turns light in color
* Add the flour and mix slightly
* Add all remaining ingredients and mix well
* Pour batter in pre-baked pie shell and bake for thirty minutes, or until pie is set
* Allow pie to rest and serve at room temperature