Texas Hill Country (February 24, 2017) — Fall Creek Vineyards, Perissos Vineyards and Wedding Oak Winery are carrying out the time honored tradition of hosting “en primeur” wine tastings for journalists and wine professionals. Borrowing the French wine trade term for the traditional spring event in which wine is sold before it is bottled, these three Texas Hill Country Wineries are hosting “Roll Out the Barrel” to host barrel tastings of wines from the 2014 and 2015 harvests.
In a similar fashion to the events held at the cru classé châteaux of Bordeaux each spring, these Texas winemakers will provide an in-depth, sensory evaluation of wines that are still maturing in the barrel or tank. This is a rare opportunity to preview the early development of several young wines that have not yet finished their evolution before they are released later in 2017.
The winemakers from Fall Creek Vineyards, Perissos Vineyards and Wedding Oak Winery will share notes about harvest, vinification and food pairing. Participants will have the opportunity to make informed assessments of the wines, as well as taste newly bottled wines that will be released this spring.
Each winery, nestled at the Northern edge of the Texas Hill Country Appellation, strives to keep an artisan feel, where place, product and people all come together to make that perfect blend. “Roll Out the Barrel” offers media and wine professionals an opportunity to enjoy great wines in the making, meet the talented Texas winemakers, and experience the beauty of one of the most picturesque parts of Texas.
Transportation will be provided by the most professional, luxurious Texas wine tour company in the Hill Country, Discover Texas Wine Tours.
At Perissos Vineyards all of our wines are made from 100% Texas grown fruit, 80% of which is homegrown on our 16-acre family vineyard and processed in our state-of-the-art winery and barrel storage facility. Our Trade Tasting will include a vertical tasting of the Estate Grown Aglianico from the 2012 and 2013 vintages, followed by a barrel tasting of the 2014 vintage.
Wines presented include:
- 2014 Roussanne, Oswald Family Vineyards. This wine was fermented in all stainless yielding crisp, new world style without malolactic fermentation. It is a Gold Medal winner at the 2016 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
- 2015 Roussanne, Oswald Family Vineyards was fermented and aged in French oak barrels for six months. It underwent malolactic fermentation in barrels. It is a Double Gold winner at the 2017 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition.
- 2013 Aglianico, Perissos Vineyards Estate Grown. This wine is a Gold Medal, TexSom International Wine Awards.
- 2014 Aglianico, Perissos Vineyards Estate Grown. Winner of Best of Class at the San Francisco Wine Competition
- 2015 Aglianico, Perissos Vineyards Estate Grown: Just released
- 2016 Aglianico, Perissos Vineyards Estate Grown: Barrel Sample
- 2014 Portejas, an estate grown 2014 Racker’s Blend, combined with fortified Brandy, and barrel-aged for 30 months: Barrel Sample
About Fall Creek Vineyards at Tow
FALL CREEK Vineyards at Tow, Texas is located on the West side of Lake Buchanan and FALL CREEK Vineyards at Driftwood is located 25 miles South of Austin. FALL CREEK is devoted to handcrafting world class wines that are true expressions of our land. From the vineyard to your table, every detail of the winemaking process is nursed with passion and commitment. Come share a small sample of the 2014 harvest, as you witness the birth of our premium wines.
Wines presented include:
- 2016 Sauvignon blanc. Desert grown Sauvignon Blanc from old vines in Texas demonstrates the quality of West Texas terroir and Fall Creek winemaking. Juicy, but balanced expression of Sauvignon Blanc with aromas of sweet basil leaf and lime blossom and flavors of passion fruit, lemongrass and kaffir lime with a zesty finish.
- 2016 Creekside Rose. Sunset pink color, with fresh notes of blood orange, strawberry roses, hibiscus and a hint of anise. Flavors of juicy apricot, sun-kissed strawberry, watermelon, and ruby red grapefruit with a kiss of white pepper on the finish. Dry and crisp, yet well balanced fruit character with subtle chalky tannin make up this wine´s structure.
- 2013 Meritus. Our fullest body wine; “Meritus” is Latin for distinguished and also nods at the concept of “Meritage” (the American word for Bordeaux style blend); red and black currant, cedar smoke, eucalyptus, Italian dark roast coffee. Patiently aged for three years to get its full potential.
- 2016 Grenache: Barrel Sample
- 2016 Mourvedre: Barrel Sample
- 2016 Syrah: Barrel Sample
- 2016 Tempranillo: Barrel Sample
About Wedding Oak Winery
Wedding Oak Winery was established in May 2012 by viticulturist Mike McHenry and a group of friends with the passion to bring the burgeoning Texas wine industry to the heart of small town Texas. The historic 1926 tasting room and 10,000 case winery, located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 190 and State Highway 16, is a central part of the renaissance of San Saba. Wedding Oak Winery takes its inspiration and name from the majestic, 400-year-old oak tree, known as the Wedding Oak Tree, which grows about 2.5 miles northwest from the winery. With the opening of its second location at Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg, Wedding Oak Winery offers to Texas-grown wines of distinction from the top of the Hill Country appellation in San Saba to the heart of Wine Road 290. Wedding Oak Winery embodies the casual beauty, friendly personalities and relaxing hospitality that defines small town Texas, and is committed to making Texas wines that celebrate our Texas terroir and wine-growing conditions.
Wines presented include:
- 2016 Roussanne, Texas High Plains, Narra Vineyard. This soon to be released wine, made with 100 percent Roussanne grapes opens with powerful aromatics of fresh fruit, spice tea, cashews and black pepper. An exotic opulent, rich wine that delivers layers of honey and pear with a beautiful lingering finish.
- 2015 Regency Bridge, Texas Hill Country. This soon to be released Rioja- style blend of grapes delivers an intensely colored wine with aromatic layers of brambles, mulberry and chocolate. Well-structured fruit and big tannins will soften with bottle aging.
- 2016 Terre Rouge, Texas Hill Country, High Valley Vineyard: Barrel Sample
- 2016 Touriga Nacional, Texas High Plains, Phillips Vineyard: Barrel Sample
- 2016 Montepulciano, Texas High Plains, Diamante Doble Vineyard: Barrel Sample